Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Grandmothers & Make Ahead Meals

I was blessed with 2 excellent grandmothers as a child.  My Nana passed away when I was only 5, but I remember so much about her for only knowing her such a short time.  She was the definition of what a grandmother should be, both of my grandmothers were.  My other grandmother (my Dad's Mom) is still with us and I feel so incredibly blessed.  I grew up with a grandmother who spoiled, knew the meaning of fun, and most importantly, loved.  She always knew how to make us feel better and if Belk was open, we were there.  As a teenager, my grandmother was my best friend.  She was there when I thought I was being mistreated by my parents (hehe) and I even lived with her for a few years during and after high school. We did a lot together and I will always cherish those days.  As with everyone, life happened.  I grew older, got married and now have children of my own and I don't get to see my grandmother nearly as much as I want to and for a time, I didn't see her nearly as much as I should but lately we have been spending a few days together here and there and I can't explain how much I have enjoyed it (and hope that she has, as well). 

She called me last week and asked when I would be doing my "Cooking thing for the month" again.  I told her that I would be working on it this week, and yesterday she came over to help me.  Seriously, it made things so much easier! She did all the stuff that I hate doing (washing the chicken, washing & cutting vegetables, LOTS AND LOTS of prepping).  Side Note: My grandmother is legally blind.  She can see a little, but not very well.  It is amazing how she measures, cuts and does so many other things purely from habit. She is AN AMAZING cook and I am so blessed to have had her in my kitchen helping me. 

 
She also helped me with Jaxon.. who was very hyper during our time in the kitchen.
 

 
Oh and my favorite dish from this months was Copy Cat Zuppa Toscana from Olive Garden.  It was DELISH!!
 

(I used spinach instead of kale, though.)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment